As a neurosurgeon turned serial entrepreneur, Jeffrey J. Segal has literally been in both business and medicine. Jeff was a neurosurgeon in private practice before beginning the second phase of his career as a serial entrepreneur in the healthcare field. Jeff then founded or co-founded four separate healthcare startups. Jeff lives and breathes healthcare and understands it viscerally.
Jeff was perfectly happy practicing as a neurosurgeon. In 1996, his wife gave birth to twins, and at age 3 his son Josh was diagnosed with autism and epilepsy. Jeff took a year off to focus on Josh, intending to go back to practicing neurosurgery. In that year, he became convinced that a certain pharmaceutical compound might help Josh, and that compound was sitting on a shelf at the University of North Carolina. Jeff approached the scientists who created this drug, and collectively they founded a biotechnology company to move their compounds from “bench to bed.” Jeff never went back to the practice of neurosurgery. His son is now 24, and has improved by leaps and bounds. Jeff never misses the opportunity when sharing this powerful story to give a shout out to his wife, Shelley, and Josh’s twin sister, Jordan, who have been great “partners” for this unexpected ride in life.
Next, Jeff founded Medical Justice which touched on so many medico-legal issues. While Jeff was working with many talented attorneys, it became clear that better understanding the law and becoming an attorney would allow him to be more effective in running Medical Justice. Jeff’s philosophy is simple – solve a client’s problem. Law is just one tool in the toolkit to achieve this goal.
Jeff also runs eMerit, which helps doctors control their online reputation through patient feedback. While Jeff remains busy running Medical Justice and eMerit, he also needed a home for his law practice. Clients of ByrdAdatto, Medical Justice and eMerit now have, using Jeff’s words, more tools in the toolkit. Outside of work, Jeff loves being outdoors. He is an avid road cyclist, scuba diver, and climber. He also enjoys reading history and spending time with his wife and children.
Credentials & Experience
Learn more about your compliance partner.
- University of Texas, B.A. (1980)
- Baylor College of Medicine, MD (1984)
- Baylor College of Medicine, General Surgical Internship (1985)
- Baylor College of Medicine, Neurosurgical Residency (1990)
- University of South Florida, Spinal Surgery Fellowship (1991)
- Concord Law School, J.D., Highest Honors (2009)
- California State Bar
- AOA Medical Honor Society
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons, Fellow
- American College Legal Medicine, Fellow
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow
- North American Spine Society
- Board Certified, Neurological Surgery
- AMA, North Carolina Medical Society
- Co-host of The Medical Liability Minute Podcast (2019 – Present)
- Guest, “The Legality of Review-Gating”, Medical Spa Insider Podcast with AmSpa (2022)
- Guest, “Steps to Survive COVID-19 When Re-Opening”, Medical Spa Insider Podcast with AmSpa (2020)
- Guest, “Reputation Management: How to Turn a Negative Into a Positive”, Medical Spa Insider Podcast with AmSpa (2019)
- Guest, “Legal Roundtable at the Vegas Cosmetic Surgery Symposium”, Medical Spa Insider Podcast with AmSpa (2019)
- Speaker, Steps to Survive COVID-19 When Re-opening, American Med Spa Association webinar
- Speaker, Managing Your Online Reputation in the 21st Century, Pacific Coat Reproductive Society
- Speaker, Medical Legal Issues That Effect Your Practice, American Academy Cosmetic Surgeons- Annual Meeting
- Speaker, Avoiding Medical Legal Minefields-Medical Risk Seminar, American Academy Cosmetic Surgeons- Annual Meeting
- Speaker, Reputation Management and Dealing with Difficult Patients, American Med Spa Association- Medical Spa Show
- Speaker, How to Stay Out of the Crosshairs With Online Reviews, American Med Spa Association- Medical Spa Show
- Co-Speaker with Alex Thiersch and Sam Pondrom, Panel: Legal Hot Topics in Aesthetic Medicine, Global Aesthetics Conference
- Speaker, How to Fire a Patient – Legal Considerations for Dealing with Difficult Clients, American Med Spa Association webinar
- Speaker, Informed Consent and Facial Fillers: Risk vs. Reward, Vegas Cosmetic Surgery
- Speaker, Responding Online Without Violating HIPAA, Vegas Cosmetic Surgery
- Speaker, Online Reputation Management, Advances in Rhinoplasty Conference